Wednesday, September 11, 2013

DIY Hydrangea Wreath

I know it is a little late to be posted this tutorial as fall is in the air.  However, you could make this wreath using fall colors like dark red and it would be gorgeous!




Suplies needed:  I purchased everything I needed to make this wreath at Hobby Lobby. 
1 Plain wreath $3
1 Wooden Letter  $1.50
1 sheet of scrapbook paper of your choice .50
4 bundles of Hydrangea heads  $12
Modge Podge $4

Total $20

I watched the sales and used a 40% off coupon for my wreath.  Go when the florals go on sale for 50% off.  This usually happens about once a month.  You will also need a pair of wire cutters.  My husband had some in his tool box.  You will also need hot glue.  



The first thing you want to do is cut your hydrangea into little pieces that you can easily glue into the wreath.  I also cut off all the leafs to use at the base of the wreath.  Before you hot glue anything into the wreath lay it out.  Put the steam in the wreath and see how it looks.  This way you can make changes without having to undo a hot mess...literally.




Once you have everything where you want it flip the wreath over and glue the steams in from behind.  This will hide the hot glue better then trying to glue them in the front.  


Then you want to trace your letter.  I bought double sided scrapbook paper so it wouldn't matter which way I traced it.  If you do single sided paper make sure you trace the letter so it lays on the wood correctly and not backwards.  I have made this mistake countless times and I always feel like an idiot.  So double sided is the way to go for me.  After you have traced your letter cut it out so and you are ready for modge podge.  






Modge Pode can be a little tricky to work with if you have never used it before.  Less is more in this case.  Just lightly dust your letter with the glue.  If you use to much your paper will bubble and you will have to pull it all off and sand it down then start over.  (Again, another lesson I have learned the hard way.)

Get a heavy book.  I choose my husbands nutrition book.  I am pretty sure I got more use out of this book then he did :)  Let your letter sit under the book for a solid 24 hours.   this will also help you avoid any bubbles in the paper.  After it has sat trim up the edges.  At this point you are almost done!



Next flip your letter over and it should have two staples in it where Hobby Lobby uses paper to hand it.  These staples are super handy because this is how you wire it to your wreath.  I used the excess wire from the steams of the flower to wire it all together.  All you do is go through the two staples and then attach the wire to the wreath.




Get some fun ribbon.  (I just used what I had around my house and hang it on your door.

THE FINAL PRODUCT!  

~Meg 




















1 comment:

  1. very interesting blog,nice information.your work is very excellent.

    ReplyDelete