Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Children's Place


A child's room should be a place where they feel safe.  It should be filled with all the things they love along with hopes and dreams.  When I was in the process of creating my sons room I wanted to capture his childhood.  I wanted him to have a place of his own to learn, grow explore and create.  I wanted him to have a place that made him happy, or lifted him up when he was sad.  I also wanted a room that was functional as well.  Lets face it though, creating a child's room can add up fast.  To make it cost effective, I got all his furniture from KSL or from my parents D.I. pile and re-painted all of it.  All of his wood furniture cost me a whopping $30!  I hope you enjoy!



My aunt Denise made this adorable scrap book for Charley and mailed it to me right after he was born. I still need to get some pictures in it but it is a darling display.  


The books in the racks are actually spice racks purchased from Ikea for $2.99.  They come unpainted so I painted them navy add some more color in his room.  This is perfect for books that are not hard block books.  Putting them a little out of reach makes it so he has to ask to see one of them.  He calls them his special books!  I got his letter name from the wood connection and painted them up to match.



Bookshelf Before!



Bookshelf After! 



This bookshelf was given to me from my mother.  I was not sure if I would be able to salvage it.  (Seriously check out the before picture)  However, with my husband sanding it about five times and Jenn and I painting it about ten times, I am very pleased with the final result.  It looks stunning in his room and he loves it.  I even let Charley help me paint a little bit of it.  He loves it!  Knobs again were purchased from Hobby Lobby.  Watch the sales!  Knobs usually go on sale at Hobby Lobby 50% off once a month.  





This was my dresser when I was little.  It is a gorgeous little piece and perfect for a child's small clothes. I painted it white to match his other furniture and I got new knobs from Hobby Lobby.  If you look closely I have displayed rocks, sticks and other little treasures Charley has found.  


The Bed:  This also was a huge project.  I purchased the bed from KSL for $20.  I did not want to spend a ton on a bed we would eventually be exchanging for a twin.  I love the toddler beds as a transition from the baby stage into the toddler stage.  The bed was originally black and so it too took about 10 coats of paint.  It was so worth it in the end!  His cute night stand/stool was purchased from Home Goods for $10!  The only real place I splurged was on his bedding purchased from Pottery Barn Kids.  I bought a twin even though this is a toddler bed.  I just fold it up to make it work.  When he moves up to a twin I won't buy new bedding because we already have it!  



Charley loves flags and what sports room would not be complete without them.  




Charley loves sports.  From the time that he could talk almost every word out of his mouth was basketball.  This is why we chose to do his room this way.  He loves it and to be honest, it is also one of my favorite rooms in our home as well.  Maybe it is because childhood is so special and this reflects his cute little personality and attitude.  Please feel free to leave a comment if you have questions where or how to do anything you see! 

   Thanks, 

-Meg



2 comments:

  1. Such a darling little boy's room. I am pregnant and can not wait to start decorating my boy's room! Thanks for all the great ideas that work with my budget! The spice rack are such a simple and cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have purchased a lot of garments for my children at The Children's Place. The costs are unparalleled, and the quality is extraordinary. The garments hold up well and are reliable and upscale.

    ReplyDelete